The Laboratory of Applied Hydraulics is one of the earliest Laboratories in the School of Civil Engineering and belongs to the Department of Water Resources and Environmental Engineering. It was established in 1963 and is located at the homonymous building of the Campus at Zografou.
The experimental hall of the laboratory occupies an area of 1000 m2, and is equipped with two linear cranes and autonomous recirculating water supply system of 200 l/s capacity. A personal computer network linked to the Computing Center of NTUA is available for mathematical modeling.
The Laboratory supports the undergraduate and postgraduate courses in the areas of fluid mechanics and hydraulics and provides specialized services regarding problems in environmental hydraulics and hydraulic structures to the public as well as to the private sector, such as Ministries, Public Power Co., water supply companies, consulting and construction companies etc. Research through diploma and postgraduate theses, doctoral dissertations and external research projects focuses on three main areas, (a) Environmental hydraulics (computational and experimental), (b) Open channel flow and hydraulic structures, (c) Groundwater hydraulics.